How to randomize a sequence of numbers or a sequence of names in microsoft excel to generate a random sequence of numbers or names.
For certain needs sometimes we need to randomize a sequence of numbers in Excel. For example if you are a teacher want to randomize attendance numbers to objectively divide groups of students. Another example is for the purposes of random sampling in research.
Previously excel class already discussed about how to create random numbers or random numbers by using functions RAND and RANDBETWEEN Excel.
To understand how to randomize this sequence of numbers you should read the excel tutorial on that page first.
In the case of randomizing this sequence of numbers we will use the rand excel function or formula.
For example we will randomize the sequence of numbers and names in the table below:
So what are the steps needed to create a random number sequence?
This method can be used in addition to merandom sequence of numbers, can actually also be applied to mangacak sequence of names as well.
To randomize the sequence of numbers and names in the table the steps you can do are as follows :
- The first step of course prepare data the ordered numbers we will randomize. In this example I use data as shown above.
- Add a dummy column which we will later use to position the excel formula as an auxiliary column to randomize the sequence of numbers that we will do. For example, in this example I position the dummy column in column C.
- Enter excel formulas by using the RAND function to create random numbers in each cell in Column C as needed.
In the example enter the following random formula in cell C2 then do copy-paste up to cell C11.
- If so, every time you do excel calculations, the number produces a random number between 0-1 (decimal number) in the range C2:C11 as shown in step number 3 above.
- The next step is to do shortir data in Column C to randomize the sequence of numbers/numbers in column A.
To sort data use the short menu or filter menu as in the picture above in The Data Tab--Group Short & amp; Filter.
You can learn more about the data filter feature in excel at the following excel tutorial page: How To Use Excel Autofilter.
- If it’s finished you can delete the dummny column which contains the rand excel formula earlier. And the end result will be more or less like the following picture, where the order of numbers and the order of names in the number and name columns have been randomized.
After understanding how to merandom this sequence of numbers, in the next tutorial we will talk about:
Well easy enough is not how merandom a sequence of numbers in excel? If you experience problems or have other number randomization problems, please inform us in the comments section of this page.
Thanks for visit my blog!